War Gear: So you can't take a combi-weapon, boarding shield, power fist, thunder hammer, lightning claws, bike, jet-bike or termi armor. It's actually, kinda of an odd exclusion list, but the important thing to note is that you can take a JUMP PACK. Plus, remember that you can take an infravisor. Finally, for the ultimate cheese, you could always take a void shield relic.
- Legion Recon Company ROW: In this ROW, all units that infiltrate or scout start with shrouding on the first turn. Most infantry in the Raven Guard force have infiltrate, but there are few exceptions. A Vigilator adds scout to a unit, which would give a unit shrouding, plus remember you can take cameleoline, so now youa re +3 to cover. So consider taking a Vigilator with a jump pack, scout armor and cameleoline in a dark fury squad. Now your Dark Fury squad starts 12" forward, is +3 to cover and auto passes dangerous terrain tests. You can do similar tactics with attack bikes or jet bikes. For more tips on this ROW, check out this article: http://www.petehappens.com/2016/02/raven-guard-30k-rite-of-war-legion.html
- Breachers: Breachers are often overlooked as expensive and not very useful in a Raven Guard force, but with a Vigilator, they now scout into 12" range which makes 4 X 18" graviton guns very viable. And you will see if you compare this what you would pay for a tac squad and grav rapiers, you will see that it's not actually that expensive of an option. You can find more tips on Breachers here: http://www.petehappens.com/2016/03/the-legion-breacher-squad-is-not-squad.html
- Seekers: Combi-Plasma Seekers in particular are especially dangerous with a Vigilator. With BS 5 and preferred enemy, a 10 man Seeker squad shoots 20 shoots that hit and wound of a 2+ and re-roll ones. In addition, seekers now have precision shot, which is good for plucking characters out of the squad. So if you are running Nex and the Liberation Force ROW you could score score 6VPs killing a warlord turn one! For more about the Liberation Force ROW check out this article. http://www.petehappens.com/2016/02/raven-guard-30k-row-liberation-force.html
- Support Squads: When I say support squads, I mean units with assault weapons like support squads, seekers, demolishers, and even units like castellax. Vigiliators let you get with in 12" turn one, which when combined with the Recon Company ROW or the Decapitating Strike ROW combined with Alvarex Maun or a Democlese Rhino, you can set up a VERY powerful alpha strike.
- Transports: Scout also confers to a units transport, so you could totally scout landraiders forward with termies bristling with combi weapons or put support squads in scouting rhinos. Or even a unit in a Dark Wing, Thunder Hawk or Storm Eagle on a landing pad and scout it on the platform first turn ;)
Do you guys have any other clever ways to use Vigilators?
Thanks to Pete for this awesome article! Check out his blog at http://www.petehappens.com/