First, make sure you are using the Imperial Armor Volume 1 & 2 Rules Updates on the Forgeworld download page. The link is permanently fixed to the right column of this blog too.
Here is where Forgeword has noted that a Valkyrie is a Flyer in games of Apoc. You will also find that a Hydra is given an AA mount. So they actually balanced these out pretty well.
And this brings up the need for a discussion of "balanced" armies and how you grow your armies.
TYPES OF ARMIES
There are 3 different types of Apocalypse armies I see out there. The big 40K army, the 40K army enlarged for Apocalypse and the Apocalypse army that is built from the ground up for Apoc games.
GROWING YOUR ARMY
When I started playing Apoc I was using the middle approach. I had a Dark Angels army I was using and the first thing I did was add a unit of Combi-melta armed Sternguard. I needed to be able to Drop Pod them in and take out Titans. And it worked well. First mission they took out a Warhound. But then I moved and 40K took a back seat. I moved to Newport Beach, CA and started playing at the Los Angeles, Games Workshop Battle Bunker. And there I started the SoCal Apocalypse club.
|James Bell's original Red Templar, now my Force Commander|
So a year ago, I decided that I wanted a whole new army. I had being working on a color scheme and the new Bunker manager, James Bell, who is an amazing painter, had this 5 man squad that was EXACTLY what I had been thinking of. I wanted to use Templar Iconography, but wanted them dark red with white helms and shoulder pads.
Since then I have steadily built up my army to include everything I think you need to have a balanced army:
1) TROOPS - The basis of any army. You need Troops to take objectives. Our house rule is anything with a WS that is not a Gargantuam Creature or has structure points can take an objective. So Terminators, Assault Troops, Dreadnoughts all are good choices.
And in Apocalypse, always think INVUNERABLE SAVE. So TH/SS Termies are awesome. I now have 30. Plus a full Battle Company. And lots of IG.
2) AT - You must have a ton of Anti-Tank weapons. Everyone loves bringing their tanks, Titans and Warmachines. You must have an army that can take out enemy Titans and Warmachines. Think MELTA.
3) FLYERS - This is the best way to apply firepower to any part of the board. You must have Flyers to be competitive.
4) AA - Well, if Flyers are important, taking out the enemy Flyers is just as important. And most everyone I know ignores this. I just don't see much AA out there!
5) WARMACHINES - Titans, Super Heavy Tanks, this stuff is hard to kill, and you need to force your opponent to deal with them. Baneblades are the default. They are awesome. Titans are for the very big games. I only bring mine when the other team has theirs.
OK, next we will discuss how to take these basics and go about building a fun, competitive Apoc Army.
|You know you are in trouble when the newbie girl is talking smack to you in her first Apoc game!|